Suggestions

Forum changes, current and future

Suggestions

Postby Drizzle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Here is where i want to hear from you the ponies that are on this board day in and day out on your thoughts about the changes, ideas on what you would like to see changed and anything else that i may have overlooked during these updated.

Please keep things civil in here if you do not like an idea i want to hear about it but please do so in a respectful manner everypony everywhere that is working on helping the community grow is doing so out of our own heart, we all like to hear feedback to help make things better but we also appreciate it to be done respectfully as we do put a lot of time into everything we do.

That being said please go ahead and let me know what you guys thing and i will be updating in this forum as much as possible but work and school may sometimes keep me from being able to post every day so i apologize in advance if i get tied up and a change appears without me giving anyone a heads up.
Drizzle
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions

Postby lebull » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Opinion Warning: I'm a geek, not a social scientist.

From what I've seen from different forums and places, the ones that tend to be more organized are the ones with the fewest possible number of sections. It may seem a little counterproductive at first, but people will only go to sections they want to go to. If there is one forum for every aspect of ponies (or anything, for this matter), users are only exposed to people who hang around in the section(s) they have in common. Users also tend to not try new things when they don't see these new things floating around. On the other hand, if users have fewer places to congregate, they tend to meet more people and see more of what's really going on around them. Splitting sections should only happen when a particular topic clutters up enough of the forum that people start ignoring it. If you split it prematurely, though, it tends to be very counter-productive.

Another good side effect of fewer sections that users tend to be more comfortable posting in general. Forums are notorious for having strict rules of what you can post when. If a user isn't sure where a particular topic should go, they would much rather play it safe and not say what they want to say. Users also tend to avoid posting if a section feels inactive to them, since they feel that no one is going to read it. Consolidating sections not only makes users feel that their topic will get read, but it will give them confidence that what they posted actually belongs there.

Here's how I think the forums should be divided:
Site Side

The Show (Create Thread: Admin/ Post:Open)
Show Notes and Discussion of past shows.

The Site (Open)
Suggestions, Donations

Community Side

General (Open)
Pony and Non-Pony related discussion.

MLP:FIM (Open)
Discussions, theories, and observations about the show itself. Doesn't have to be about a particular episode.

*Fan Content (Open)
Discussion of user created content, either yours own work or somebody else's work. Also a great place to discuss the process of making content.

*It might even be appropriate to have fan content as a subform of General.

That's it. If everything were merged to this setup right now, the largest thread count would be around 35. With the way the posts are distributed currently, I think that it's safe to say that there wouldn't be problems with any particular topic overshadowing another.

tl;dr
Consolidate
lebull

Re: Suggestions

Postby Drizzle » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:21 am

aaah yes that was actually one of my plans to go and kind of organize the way the forums were divided up, sadly i was having a hard time deciding where things should go but since you seem to have a little bit of a break down here, that actually makes sense for how its broken up, it looks like it will give me somewhere to start :lol: . That being said i do plan on looking into organizing the forums a little more just not right this second once i have an idea of how i want to move them around i will probably begin moving them at that point. Thanks for the idea of where to start at it will come in handy since i was a little lost on where to begin with that one.
Drizzle
Site Admin

Return to Forum Changes